Blue Jackets Forum

Columbus Blue Jackets talk.

GM DW Quietly Drops a Bomb

0 +/-
Q's picture
August 19, 2024 at 3:30pm
3 Comments

Could this get ugly?

In recent quotes GM Waddell has put a new perspective on the ongoing Patrik Laine saga. 

“He’s been very vocal about it way before I got here that he does not want to play for the Blue Jackets. I think there was a lot of things that went on in the locker room and he just doesn’t want it.” and “So this is different because it’s harder to bring him back knowing the situation.”

Yikes.

As fans, we agree it would be irresponsible asset management to just give PL away. The fact that Laine didn't come out of the player assistance program until nearly August 1 (at a time when almost all of hockey is taking a vacation and salary capped rosters are pretty much finalized around the league) makes a trade before opening day next to impossible. So I think we fans very reasonably say: "Well, this is Patrik's "request" and the box we are in is partly of his own making, so he may just have to start the season with the CBJ so he can prove to GMs that he is still an NHL level talent. Certainly the professionals around Laine recognize that reality."

What if that isn't how Patrik sees this situation? DW may be getting fans ready for the reality that Patrik is not coming back to "play his way into a trade." There have been several social media posts showing how hard Laine is working this off season. What if in his mind, that is all he has to do to show NHL GMs that he is NHL-ready again?

I often throw out comments here to get the input from you all: we don't always agree, but this site attracts thoughtful hockey observers and passionate fans: What do you think the possibility or odds are that this turns ugly?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of 1st Ohio Battery unless otherwise noted.

View 3 Comments